Lentil Bolognese with Gluten-Free Vegan Red Lentil Penne
Recipe & Photo By: Ben Fenton of Boulder, CO
- 1 package of Pappardelle’s Gluten-Free Vegan Red Lentil Penne
1/2 cup dry green lentils
1 cup + of water (depending on your desired thickness and amount of lentils)
Salt to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 tbsp agave syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 package of Pappardelle’s Roasted Tomato Marinara Sauce
1/2 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots shredded (food processor) or grated
Chopped parsley for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a large (rimmed) skillet, heat the oil over medium/medium low heat.
- Add onions and garlic and a pinch of salt and gently sauté/sweat over low/medium heat for 2-3 minutes until onions start to become translucent.
- Add carrots and a pinch more salt and gently sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add marinara sauce, oregano, red pepper flakes (optional), basil, sugar, lentils and water. Turn up heat to bring mixture to a simmer and then reduce heat to low and stir occasionally and cook for 15-25 minutes depending on lentil type and until your preferred "doneness". Add more water if you prefer a thinner sauce.
- While this is going on, cook pasta for desired time and strain
- To serve, plate the pasta and spoon desired amount of bolognese on top of the pasta, garnish with parsley.