Cheesy Potato Gnocchi and Hot Italian Sausage Bake
14 oz. Pappardelle’s Potato Gnocchi
1/3 cup Pappardelle’s Superfood Kale Pesto
1 lb. Polidori Hot Italian Sausage, removed from casing
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
3 cups milk
A large pinch of garlic powder
5 oz. roasted tomatoes
2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1-1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil. Add frozen gnocchi to boiling water, stirring occasionally. Cook for 2-3 mins., or until gnocchi floats. Remove from water with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- While water is warming up, heat a non-stick sauté pan over medium heat. Add sausage to pan and using a spatula, break sausage into crumbles. Cook for about 5 mins. or until cooked through and crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Place a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add butter and let melt. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 mins., or until paste bubbles and no longer smells like flour. Add milk, continuing to stir. Bring to a gentle boil. Lower heat to medium-low and stir until béchamel is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Season with garlic powder and salt & pepper. Remove from heat.
- Combine cooked gnocchi, sausage and béchamel in a large bowl. Add kale pesto, roasted tomatoes, Parmesan, and 1 cup mozzarella. Stir until combined.
- Transfer gnocchi mixture to an oven safe dish or skillet. Cover with foil and bake for 20 mins. After 20 mins., uncover and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella on top. Bake for another 10-15 mins., or until cheese is melted and dish is bubbly. Let sit for 5 mins. before serving. Enjoy!